Friday, February 5, 2010

Kindergarten Click

This week, I had a GPM (good parenting moment) with my 5 year old daughter.  Seems even in kindergarten, there are social 'clicks'. At the moment, my daughter feels like odd man out. 

The fact is, last year, if there was a pre-school prom, Molly would have been the queen.  She was the kid that everyone else wants to sit next to.  Now, just a year later, she's trying to break into a new group of friends and she's feeling a new emotion that she can't quite identify.  It's called insecurity.

I would have loved to have been able to tell her that the terrible feeling goes away, but we make it a rule never to lie to her. 

"The truth is", I say in my gentle voice, "everyone feels insecure sometimes.  Even Mommy and Daddy". Funny enough, once she heard that, she was instantly cheered up.  And when I explained that insecurity and confidence were opposites, she seemed to understand the concepts more clearly.

Being able to idenify her emotions and hearing that her feelings were normal allowed Molly to feel more secure about the whole 'insecure' situation.  I'm feeling pretty good too.

No comments:

Post a Comment