Dorel Asia SLR and the US Consumer Product Safety Commission are recalling about 635,000 cribs, following 10 injuries to infants and one child death. The crib manufacturer and the CPSC are concerned that if the hardware that holds up the crib’s side fails, the drop side might detach, which could lead to suffocation or entrapment.
So far, there has been one related death involving a 6-month-old Iowa baby who was fatally injured as a result of strangulation and entrapment. The CPSC and Dorel Asia have received 31 reports of drop side accidents. Six of them involved kids who became entrapped between the mattress and the crib’s drop side. Three babies sustained bruises. There have also been 36 reports of cribs’ slats breaking. Two children became entrapped because of this. Fortunately they were not injured. Seven babies sustained scratches and bruises.
Log on to http://www.dorel-asia.com/ to order the free replacement kit to prevent child entrapment in these cribs. The repair kits will be provided to owners within the next several weeks. OR call Dorel Asia toll-free at (866) 762-2304 between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. ET Monday through Friday
Description: The following Dorel Asia cribs are involved in the recall:
- 3-1 Convertible Crib - Natural Model # DAKM1615B3
- Model Number Front Rail Description
- WM1633 Drop side 3-1 Sleigh Crib – Cherry
- WM1633-0 Drop side 3-1 Sleigh Crib - Cherry (no castors)
- WM1676BC Fixed 4-1 Bethany James Crib – Walnut
- WM1676BCR-DC Fixed 2-1 Crib – Walnut
- WM2163 Fixed 4-1 Crib – Manhattan Walnut
- WM2163DC Fixed 4-1 Crib – Manhattan Walnut
- WM1633-0-DC Fixed 3-1 Sleigh Crib (no castors)
- GP004B3EGR Drop side 3-1 Convertible – Espresso
- GP004B3WGR Drop side 3-1 Convertible – White
- GP006BCEGR Drop side Single – Espresso
- GP006BCWGR Drop side Single – White
- DA1615B3 Drop side 3-1 Convertible Crib – Natural
- DAKM5132 Drop side 3-1 Convertible Crib – White
- DASE5005 Drop side Cottage Hill Single Crib – White
- DASE5009 Drop side Vintage Estate 3-1 Sleigh Crib – Cherry
- DA0504KMC-1N Drop side 3-1 Heritage Crib – Natural
- DA0504KMC-1W Drop side 3-1 Heritage Crib – White
- DA1614B3 Drop side 3-1 Lexington Crib – Cherry
- DAKM5152 Drop side Single Jenny Lind Crib - Walnut
- DASE5015 Drop side 3-1 Convertible - Toffee
Second, Graco Children’s Products is recalling 1.5 million Passage, Alano and Spree strollers. Some styles of the products have hinges on the canopy that could cut and/or amputate a child’s fingertip when the canopy is opened or closed.
Sold at: AAFES, Burlington Coat Factory, Babies “R” Us, Toys “R” Us, Kmart, Fred Meyer, Meijers, Navy Exchange, Sears, Target, Walmart and other retailers nationwide from October 2004 and December 2009 for between $80 and $90 for the strollers and between $150 and $200 for the travel systems.
For additional information, contact Graco at (800) 345-4109 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. ET Monday through Friday, or visit the firm’s Web site at http://www.gracobaby.com/